The Tourism Times | Breaking tourism-related news from Nepal and beyond
°C
Climbing
Mt Manaslu expeditions cancelled as weather plays foul
By
Tourism Times
Published at : 22 Sep 2026, 11:31 AM
KATHMANDU: Over 1,000 climbers, including 493 foreigners, have paused their autumn climbing on Mt Manaslu, citing safety concerns due to adverse weather conditions.
Most major expedition companies also decided to cancel their summit bid on Mt Manaslu, as adverse weather conditions and incessant snowfall above base camp heightened risks on the world's eighth-highest mountain, confirmed expedition officials.
Expedition leaders of major expedition outfitters, including Seven Summit Treks, 8K Expeditions, Imagine Nepal Treks, Elite Exped, Asian Trekking, Pioneer Adventure, and Satori Adventures, informed from the base camp that they had already asked their members to retreat and had begun closing their camps, as ground reality and weather forecasts would not allow them to continue their summit push this month.
"Sherpa climbers who were at Camp III to assess the situation reported that they couldn't move to Camp IV because of avalanche risk following the fresh snow," said Lakpa Sherpa, expedition leader at 8K Expeditions.
Lakpa, who mobilized the assessment team, further added that small avalanches following snowfall were recurrent above Camp III. "Putting safety first, 8K has decided to cancel its summit bid for now," he added.
“Following continuous snowfall throughout the night, our team carried out a careful assessment of the route and current snow conditions. The latest assessment indicates a significant avalanche risk, with unstable snow making further movement unsafe at this time, Lakpa said, adding, “The safety of our climbers, Sherpa team and entire expedition crew comes before any summit objective. Everyone is currently returning safely to Base Camp, while our team continues to closely monitor the mountain and weather conditions. After careful consideration, we have decided to pause the expedition until conditions improve and further notice.”
Chhang Dawa Sherpa, expedition leader at Seven Summit Treks said that SST climbers have now been returning to base camp. “For us, the season on Manaslu is officially closed.”
It is never an easy decision, but every successful expedition begins and ends with one responsibility: bringing everyone home safely, according to Chhang Dawa.
“The current conditions on Manaslu have reminded us once again that, in the mountains, nature always has the final word,” Chhang Dawa said, “When it comes to the technical challenges of an expedition, we prepare, adapt, and find a way to tackle them. But there is one thing we can never overcome —snowfall, wind, and mountain conditions are beyond our control.”
Mingma G, Managing Director at Imagine Nepal Treks, said that risk had been heightened on Manaslu due to adverse weather conditions. "It would not be possible to launch a summit bid within the expected window of September 23–24," he said, adding that all climbers are now retreating to base camp.
"For now, the summit push is paused," said Dawa Steven Sherpa, Managing Director at Asian Trekking, hinting that it seemed almost impossible to wait for the next window.
Mingma Dorchi Sherpa, Chairman at Pioneer Adventure, also said that the autumn expedition on Mt Manaslu is over now.
Heavy snowfall in the region has affected climbing activities, while the weather forecast for September 24 onward looks somewhat challenging for continuing or holding expeditions on Mt Manaslu, they informed.
Weather forecast shows that there will be heavy rainfall from September 25 due to developing weather system over the Bay of Bengal.
This season, Manaslu summit route was opened on September 17 after nine-member Sherpa climbers stood atop the mountain.
Comment